Sunday, June 9, 2013

Not To Be Rash, But...

In the past two days, I think I may have walked about thirty feet. I have been sitting/laying in my bed for the rest of the time. There’s definitely something wrong with me, it doesn’t take my scientific background to know that much. I have a pretty significant amount of mosquito bites, most of them on my legs. Recently, more began to show up on my arms. The ones that don’t itch have faded into a strange yellow hue and it makes me look like I’ve been the subject of a marble tossing match gone wrong.

I feel weak. When I stand, my legs ache, my entire body aches. My Ithacalves, my proud and beautiful rocks of leg muscle, are beginning to deteriorate. It saddens me. I think that may be the product of how little I’ve eaten in the past few days. Yesterday wasn’t a very good day. I spent a lot of the day alone, gratefully, and I spent most of it trying to overcome this emotional state I’ve been in. I woke up in a sweat, but also cold. Interesting. I briefly skyped with my parents and my heart leapt when they brought my over to Gary, who was indulging in a Milkbone. What a ham. I began reading and playing Solitaire on and off. I’ve gotten pretty good at Solitaire, with a not-bad winning percentage of 9%. Pretty impressive, I’d say.

I didn’t eat much yesterday. I took my malaria medicine with trepidation. It went down alright. After not eating for a very long time, I figured my body should take in some form of nutrient so I popped a Centrum. I lie down, and about an hour later I find myself running outside. I threw up again. Second time in less than 24 hours. I wasn’t feeling well at all. I drank some water and waited for Frieda to come back to the apartment. I had to find something to eat. I had no idea how to actually cook anything; Frieda has things organized in such a way that it’s very hard to find things unless you’re her. Also, I was a little worried about dealing with a propane tank with absolutely no experience. The only thing I was left with was a pineapple I bought at the market a day earlier. I heard horror stories about fruits and vegetables in foreign countries, but I think I was beyond the point of caring. What’s more illness on top of what I already had? I took the risk. I grabbed the only knife, a mini-form of a machete, and went outside. I had no idea how to cut it, so I put the pineapple on my lap horizontally and started to attempt to carve it. I was pathetic, I’ll admit. Here I was, trying to cut a pineapple on my leg, having eaten nothing all day and running on vapors. One of the neighbors passed by, went inside her house and brought out a cutting board and bowl. She had the pineapple chunked in less than two minutes. She was my hero of the day yesterday. Once everything was cut, I was disappointed to see that there was very little pineapple in the bowl, maybe a third of a pound. I went to my lair/bed and ate it all in about ten minutes, even the core. I finished and hoped that some entity would grant the pineapple safe.

On a side note, I want to point out that the pineapple was incredible. It was white, which I thought was pretty odd, but very juicy and sweet. I wish all pineapples tasted like that one.

Frieda came back about two hours after I finished the pineapple and made me some rice. She put a spicy sauce on top. I picked around the sauce, knowing that it would amplify my nausea. I had about three bites until I was full. I spent the rest of the night as I did the entire day, restless but tired. What an oxymoron that is. The night was warm and my mosquito net didn’t help cool me down. I woke up in the middle of the night with the net draped over my feet. Being too tall for my mattress certainly isn’t the best bite prevention I can think of. I fixed it and returned under my sheet, sweating but also chilly. Another oxymoron for you. I fell into a deep sleep for the first time in a long time and woke up in extreme pain. My muscles ached; I slept in a very strange position. I rolled my neck, trying to somehow readjust it.

I woke up sweating, despite the cool day. I felt a warm sensation on my arm and discovered that I had been on my right forearm. There is a very large rash around it that concerns me. I tried researching potential causes for painful rashes but the internet did not have an answer. It drew a line around the concentrated area and the outside and plan on tracking its growth (and hopeful shrinking).


I waited a few hours before taking my malaria medicine, looking at the bottle once an hour or so in fear. I was terrified that this would begin the vicious cycle of illness and nausea. The nausea set in before I took the medication, but afterwards it definitely got worse. I drank a lot of water. A few hours later, I was panting, breathing heavy, terrified that I would throw up again. I began gagging, but managed to keep everything inside for today. I remained nauseous for the rest of the day, even now.

Frieda’s mother visited the apartment today and brought a loaf of homemade bread. I briefly went to the next room to say hello, but couldn’t physically stand for more than five minutes. I apologized to her mother that I couldn’t socialize and retreated to my bed. Another day of Solitaire for me. Later, Frieda brought me a chunk of the bread to eat and I slowly ate the entire thing. It was perfect. You could taste the love. I wish she never gave me that bread, because nothing in Ghana will ever compare. I was happy and the bread was staying down.

I took a look at my arm again after feeling some pain. It looked as if the rash was branching out and it is beginning to (as I write this) hurt my entire arm. Is this normal, to have a rash affecting the functionality of a limb? I certainly hope so. I’ll be going to the doctor’s office tomorrow to see if I can be healed. Until then, I’ll continue to play Solitaire and hope for the best. Someone please eat a potato for me, I really miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment